House of the Nuns
Much more famous than the Beguines or cloistered nuns from the second half of the 15th century, to whom the house owes its name, was another inhabitant a hundred years later, commemorated by the stone book and the small garden in front of the bookstore. Here was one of the first botanical gardens in the world.
From 1535, the TĂĽbingen professor of medicine Leonhard Fuchs (1501-1566) occupied the building and planted a herb garden next to it, which served him as a field of experimentation in the field of medicinal plants. Duke Ulrich of WĂĽrttemberg called him to TĂĽbingen as professor of medicine, where he was rector seven times. As the "father of botany", he published his plant book "de historia stirpium commentarii" in 1542, illustrated with over 500 woodcuts, which appeared as the German-language "New KreĂĽterbuch" in 1543. In the 18th century, the newly discovered plant family of "fuchsia" was named after him.
The transverse "little house" above the alley, which can be reached from the outer staircase on the second floor, is the so-called "Sprachhaus". It was the medieval abortuary directly above the bunting canal.
Today, the house of the nuns houses a boutique and a bookstore, as well as the home of the owner of the house.
You can learn more about the history of women and women's lives in TĂĽbingen on our themed tour "TĂĽbingen Women's Stories".
Kontakt
Adresse
Nonnenhaus
Beim Nonnenhaus 7
72070 TĂĽbingen